CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Pages

Tuesday, August 26, 2008

"Craftitis"

I have a syndrome, uncommonly known as "craftitis". Definition- the swelling of one's craft supply. It can be fairly serious. Symptoms included but are not limited to the over abundance of craft supplies. There is no known cure at the present. Therapy may be helpful with some patients, as well as, the act of organizing one's supplies and distributing them to needy preschools, church classrooms and the like.
My, oh, my, what a large craft supply. With the event of moving looming on the horizon, I have spent the last two evenings, literally, cleaning up and out my craft supplies. I have rubbermaids full and labeled (Allison would be proud) of various forms of crafting. Sewing, fabric, scrapbooking, glue and other adhesives, jewelry findings, ribbon, cardstock and colored paper. You name it, I probably have it. I found 4 paper hole punches, several pairs of scissors, floral tape galore. I have realized I have a problem. So many ideas, little time and enough crafting junk to last the rest of my life. Somebody stop me! I have shed a tear or two, while getting it all put together. I feel wasteful.
I'm determined to move into this house in some form of orderly fashion. Last year when we packed boxes, some were packed with care, others not so much. Boxes were scattered between storage space in the rental and the storage unit. I felt very discombobulated. Finding certain items was not easy. So when Eddie emptied the storage unit this past weekend (thanks to Alan for all his help), I was hoping and thought I had asked for certain boxes, such as decorations, all be placed in one specific location. That did not happen. I had a melt down. I cried. I needed a release. Its not so much that the boxes didn't get put in the right place, or that boxes that belonged together upstairs in the bonus room, where placed way down in the basement, as it was that I was/am exhausted. I feel like I've spent an enormous amount of time painting, caulking, talking about the house, running errands for the house, dealing with the bank and their deficiencies, making phone calls, pricing supplies, making decisions. I am so thankful that Lana has been able to help with the cleaning up, window cleaning and the like. She has spent many hours vacuuming and windexing. I spent an hour on Saturday trying to figure out how to put the grills in the front door windows. I was apparently doing it all wrong- for an hour. When I finally had a light bulb moment, it took me 5 seconds- literally. I think my brain is just fried. So if I seem a little out of sorts, its because I am. If I seem a little distant, a little spacey, don't hold it against me. If I don't call as often, or return a call as quickly as usual, its not because I don't want to. I'm ready for normalacy. I'm ready for our lives back.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I am glad you still have your sense of humor and know that all will be fine. Craftitis can be helped I'm sure. Perhaps there is a support group out there that you can join!! As far as the house goes, it will soon be a home...hang in there!! Lana

Anonymous said...

Shannon. . . So, from finding you on facebook, I have found your blog! I just love it! I find it a great way to keep up with friends that I don't have time to keep up with!! and I know you know how that is. . . I don't know how you have managed all this house building and you have done so much hands on! That's amazing!

I must confess, I too suffer from craftitis, the only treatment I have found is that when I have a sever flair up, I go away with some girlfriends for a creative retret to use some products OR I donate to my daughters craft box... She LOVES it!!

Now that our Kmusik days are gone, I look forward to keeping up with you more this way....hopefully no more crazy encounters at the pool with my injured child!