CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Pages

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Real Moms of Maryville- Episode 2

With a long list in my head, and the determination to get it all done before picking up the boys for school, I headed out to the parking lot at work yesterday. Little did I know, I would find my old pal Murphy (Law) waiting for me at the car.

I hopped in the car, and started to pull out of my space, and heard the sound of fiberglass crunching to my right. Great! Hopped back out of the car, ran around the front, and about threw up right there on the spot. I had misjudged my turn and destroyed the left front bumper of the car I happened to be parked next to. Oh, and my right rear passenger door (again- more in a minute). 
I put my car back into the parking space, and with my head hung low, turned around and walked right back into the building to find the owner of the pretty silver BMW I had just roughed up. I waited while she was finishing up her class, and then broke the news. Having to tell someone that you ran into their car is not fun. Thankfully, the owner is as sweet as can be, but I don't think I could have apologized enough.
After the police officer came to take the report, I headed home to get a jump start on everything I knew I was going to have to take care of for the accident. I filed the report with the insurance, made a list of items I would need to take care of, and then headed back out to take the car over to the Body shop for an estimate. I called Matthew's teacher to let her know I would probably be a few minutes late picking up the boys, if she could hold onto them for me until I got there. 
I pulled into the parking lot of the Body shop, and through my windshield, I could see two bewildered faces staring back at me.

Time for a flashback.... Let me take you back for a moment to early June 2010 (yes, that's correct, 5 months ago). With a long list in my head, and the determination to get a few items knocked off my list before my parents arrived to watch the boys while Eddie and I travelled to Peru for a mission trip, I pulled into the driveway. Thinking that it would be a good idea to clean and vacuum the car out, I attempted to pull my 6 month old vehicle into our garage. As I was making the slight right turn into the garage, I heard the sound of fiberglass scrapping and crunching on the right side. I had apparently misjudged how much room I had when making my turn. When I got out of the car to check the damage, I truly had expected to see only minor scratches. Not so much. Not only had I scratched and dented the right rear door, but had scratched up the garage door frame, as well. That would be the easy fix. Being that we were getting ready to leave the country and then go on vacation upon our return, I thought it would be best to hold off on telling Eddie what had happened. Or a tleast hide it best I could until we returned. So, I quickly called my dad in North Carolina to ask where I could buy rubbing compound for the car, tried as hard as I could to buff out what I could and then found the outside trim paint and patched up the garage frame. 
I was able to pull it off until we were at the beach and he noticed the indentation in the door. 

Back to present day... I walked into the Body shop and smiled at the puzzled faces looking back at me. I told them I missed them, and that it had been two months since I had seen them and fortunately for them I was there for a visit. Same door, same side, more damage. 

I'm quite certain I heard old Murphy behind me giggling.

I'm sure you can only imagine my dear husband's response when I relayed the events of that afternoon. I'm still unsure of whether or not he is serious, but he mentioned selling the car and getting me a clunker to drive. Upon hearing this, my youngest, Matthew, starts crying, "No, don't sell the car, I like that car...." "Are we really going to have to sell the car?" "Will we get money for it?" I explained that I really didn't know what would happen, we would have to get it fix and then go from there. It was just a car and if we did sell it, yes we would get money. His sobbing quickly stopped and he looked up at me and asked, "Can I have half?".  "Half of what?" I asked. "The money", he said.

Flashback.... circa 1986. I'm 12, and for my birthday, I wanted a dog. I got a dog, a basset hound. The cute little puppy grows up, slobbers all the time, and stinks. 6 months or more pass, and it is decided that we need to try to get rid of the dog. I sob, and sob, and sob. The day comes when the new owner comes to pick up the dog. I was heart broken. Then I asked my dad how much did he sell her for and did he get cash?

Present day... Matthew didn't fall far from the tree.

Well, today was a new day! Everyone has calmed down (I think). The car is going in the shop tomorrow to get fixed. The insurance will take care of the repairs and I think I'll actually get a little rest tonight. 

O, and Murphy, I'm pretty sure I saw him hitching a ride with the truck that backed into the little blue car today while getting lunch at Sonic. (Accidents happen)

0 comments: